My everyday art journaling in 2017 - how did it really go?

On the 1st of January 2017, a few minutes past midnight while having a toast with my friends and Jamie I said out loud what my New Year's resolution is going to be -
I'll be art journaling every day!

And it didn't seem scary at all, it seemed achievable and fairly easy considering that...

1. I work from home so I can have my 10 minutes of art journaling whenever the muse hits
2. Part of my job is to be creative and educate myself if it's about art techniques
3. I always have my art journal open and basic supplies next to it on my desk
4. I feel this urgent natural need to create almost every day - nothing is going to stop me!
5. I've done it before, I was art journaling almost every day in 2016.

There was one thing though that I didn't know on the 1st of January 2017... and that is that I am already three weeks pregnant and that it's going to change not only the whole situation, but also... me. 

I didn't expect that in 6th week I will officially become the world's most tired person whose only interest is in laying down on the sofa (preferably with eyes closed) as nothing, really nothing aroused my curiosity.
Shall we watch a film? Should I read a book? Should I write? Should I continue my art history lessons? Shall I art journal? All these things that usually would make me melt from delight at this point only made me feel sick, even a thought of them. In a quite literal way as well. So I spent some long hours in this nothingness full of guilt and beating myself up. Then we found out that this whole circus going on with my body and mind is simply caused by our little human that my body just started to grow.

As you can imagine, even though I started my January full of energy and convinced that at the end of 2017 I will hold tons of my art journals filled with layers of paint, the reality and this sweet little human changed my plans quite a lot.
This is why today I am only on my 69th art journal page this year - still not too bad, actually I'm quite happy with myself but it's just not exactly what I planned.
So there you go, I learnt the same lesson all over again - no matter what your plans are, everything can change. I think I quite love this fact... everything is temporary and there is always a chance.

Here are a few pages from my Everyday Art Diary. Not in any particular order. If you wish to see my new works more regularly then please follow my Instagram.







Comments

  1. I really love your honesty kasia, Im always beating myself up that I'm not creating when I think I should be....I just need to remind myself that I can't do everything, but when I do create, I Enjoy every single second! i just love your pages, such an exciting time aheadxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things don't always work out quite how we plan! Your pages certainly don't convey a sense of someone who lost their mojo! Not surprising really - Congratulations! I used to get quite anxious if we were away and I couldn't return comments or make comments on favourite blogs! I realised that time away with my hubby is more important than anything! Have a great week! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly know from experience that life doesn't always go the way you plan but change can bring some amazing surprises. Such as the exciting news about "your little human". Congratulations. Don't beat yourself up about not producing more art. The work you have shared is awesome. I am also truly amazed at all the work and energy you and Jamie have put into Everything Art to produce such a wonderful year long art program for all of us. Thank you for that. You have set some lofty goals and I think you are doing just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did say, Kasia, that by art journalling every day, you didn't mean making a complete page every day. It could be just something like putting a layer of paint down or adding a piece of collage each day. You've done really well completing 69 pages so far! And I love all of them! You've been one of my biggest inspirations this year! All the best with your pregnancy - it sounds like you're going to have a September baby - a little artist in the making, no doubt!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts